The Marketing Communicators (MarCom) Network facilitates engagement between the Department of University Marketing and Advertising and marketing communicators across the University. MarCom representatives (MarCom reps) are appointed by their chancellors, deans, or senior administrators to ensure that marketing planning, standards and practices are carried out in line with University policy and established guidelines. Appointments to the MarCom Network are targeted to staff that direct the marketing and branding function in their units.
Duties and Expectations
- Understand the University’s brand strategy and brand assets. Become familiar with the University’s brand manual.Work with University Marketing and Advertising to facilitate implementation of the brand in their areas, and take part in brand workshops or meetings.
- Oversee the development of student recruitment materials and lead promotional pieces such as a view book. Make sure they are written and designed by qualified professionals. When appropriate, materials may be designed and produced in University Marketing and Advertising.
- Review and evaluate promotional marketing online communications and print materials before they are produced to ensure that they are on track for the intended audience, developed according to current brand style, reflect correct visual identity standards and editorial standards, and include required University statements and a University editor number (U.Ed. number).
- Assign University Editor numbers (U.Ed. numbers) to materials as appropriate, and maintain a record of those numbers.
- Maintain oversight of the unit’s marketing materials. See the bigger picture and how these materials are impacting the image of the unit and the University. Target materials that need to be updated, revised, or redesigned to reflect brand style. Stay on top of what is being produced and used in the unit.
- Provide periodic messages or updates to keep or keep unit administrators, faculty, and staff apprised of guidelines and policies relevant to branding and marketing communications. Provide information about core branding practices, editorial and visual standards, correct use of the mark according to the visual identity system, and any other matters related to the unit’s branding and marketing communications.
- Contact the MarCom Network manager in University Marketing and Advertising for help, guidance, advice, or support relevant to University branding, identity, or matters pertaining to marketing communications. Newly appointed MarCom reps should contact the MarCom manager for an orientation meeting.
- The Marketing Communicators Network is established as an area of responsibility under the Office of Strategic Communications in line with Policy AD61–University Marketing and Communications.
University Editor Numbers (U.Ed. Numbers)
U.Ed. Numbers, established under the former University Editor Representative System, are used to denote publications and marketing materials that have been properly reviewed, written, designed, and prepared, and approved for use.
U.Ed. numbers are in the purview of the MarCom rep for each unit. Only publications and marketing materials that have been approved by the MarCom rep or prepared by University Marketing and Advertising may receive a U.Ed. number.
MarCom reps should review and assign U.Ed. numbers to all promotional publications and marketing materials that are produced by their units. This pertains to materials that are used to promote, inform, or recruit, and are directed primarily to external audiences. Publications and marketing materials that should have U.Ed. numbers (and the requisite reviews and approvals) include: all recruitment materials, brochures, flyers, posters, catalogs, calendars, schedules of events, booklets, view books, invitations, annual reports, newsletters, magazines, etc. Materials excluded from U.Ed. numbers (no review or oversight by a MarCom rep required) include classroom instructional materials, scholarly journals, faculty papers, internal memorandum, and forms.
A U.Ed. number includes a three-digit letter code that identifies the unit, followed by a two-part number. The first part of the number designates the current fiscal year. The second part is the next sequential number assigned by the MarCom rep’s log. Every year on July 1, the numbering for each unit starts over with the new fiscal year number followed by the number 1.
Each MarCom rep maintains a U.Ed. number log to keep track of each sequential number, the title of the piece, the date it is assigned, who is handling the piece, where it is being produced/printed, and any other details about the piece that the rep would find useful to record. Logs can be maintained as a spreadsheet or whatever is most useful to the rep.
See the listing of MarCom reps for the letter codes designated for each unit.